A great way to change energy intensive habits in your family is to create an ‘energy board’ in a central area in your home, like the kitchen. Write up this month’s electricity bill, and get the family together to set next month’s target. Explain why this is not just about saving money, but about saving the planet.
Then all together, write down ways in which everyone can cut down on their electricity use. For example:
- Dad – ditch the electrical shaver and go for cold steel!
- Everyone – as you leave a room, turn off the light behind you
- John – if you are cold, put on a jersey rather than immediately turning on the heater
- Mom – boil just enough water for your cup of tea, not the whole kettle
- Sarah – turn off the TV and your computer equipment when you are not using them